Pages

Sunday 27 March 2016

Bought a Sewing Machine!

Hi! I went to the NEC Hobbycrafts show a couple of weeks ago, and ended up getting a sewing machine! I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but I've never been very good at sewing, so I was worried that it would be a waste of money. But you know how it is, you see something, realise you 'need' it, and then start worrying about how to tell your Other Half... But I already have a bit of a fabric stash, from years ago when I decided to try quilting, but never got started :-s

I managed to get the machine threaded up and ready to go (with a bit of help from my parents, who were visiting at the time!) My bloke suggested I start with a pin cushion - something simple! I'm not great at straight lines yet, but I'm really pleased with my first project! I just used two squares from a charm pack I bought ages ago, so I didn't even need to do any cutting :)



So now I am hooked. I found instructions for a tote bag, and even though it looked complicated because it has a lining, I decided to give it a go. I messed up the straps, so I had to faff around with them a little bit, but otherwise I'm really happy with the results. I was up 'til nearly 3am this morning finishing it!



It's a different pattern each side because I used a pack of fat quarters, so there wasn't enough to use all one pattern. I like it though, and it's all a learning process!

I'm itching to do something patchworky, but with large squares so it's straightforward, but I might practice my straight lines a bit first. I want to make some large cushions for the cats, too. It might be a late night again tonight!


No comments: